Cheryl Hood Langel
Cheryl is a shareholder in the firm’s civil-litigation practice. She has been admitted to practice since 1991 in the state courts of Minnesota and the federal courts of the District of Minnesota and the Eighth Circuit, and is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Appellate Practice section. She received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of Minnesota Law School, and her B.A. in accounting, summa cum laude, from Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa.
For over thirteen years, Cheryl has limited her practice to legal writing and argument. She primarily works on civil-litigation matters, with a focus on motions, appeals, and coverage opinions in a wide variety of case types. Cheryl loves the craft of writing and uses her skills to persuasively and succinctly present the legal issues pertinent to her clients. Her passion for writing started in elementary school – she still hopes to use her honed writing skills to publish that first novel!
In her spare time, Cheryl enjoys spending time with her husband Joe, son Ben, and daughter Abby. She reads fiction as often as she can, strives to someday play the fairway consistently, and enjoys playing cards.
- University of Minnesota (JD, cum laude)
- Loras College (BA, summa cum laude)
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant (inactive)
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- Bringing/Foreclosing Expert Evidence Motions (CLE Presentation), 2016
- Minnesota Courtroom Evidence Deskbook (2d. Ed. 2013): 2014-2018 updates for Chapter 9, Opinions and Expert Testimony
- Risk-Shifting Indemnity Agreements in Construction: Are They Finally Demolished? Bench & Bar (August 2013)
- All Saints School Advisory Board, 1999 – 2002
- Personal Shopper, The Open Door, 2012 – 2016
- Amicus volunteer: Melillo v. Heitland, Great Northern Ins. Co. v. McMillan Electric, Staab v. Diocese of St. Cloud
- Pro Bono Public Defender: State v. Lopez
- McGee Civil Rights Moot Court Competition – volunteer judge 1996 – present
- 2017 MSBA North Star Lawyer (Pro Bono Service)
- Minnesota State Bar Association Appellate Practice Section